We at Odysseus Chambers are equipped to pursue or defend all aspects of maritime claims that may arise in this jurisdiction inclusive of arrest of vessels.
We are also able to advise on all matters of contracts whether the purchase of vessels, charter parties or related agreements.
Our attorneys have advised on matters relating to carriage of goods, customs and excise and the acquisition of vessels.
Our clients include P&I Clubs, ship owners and shipping agents.
We work with international partners whose clients have specialist needs in the shipping industry. Our attorneys have expertise and experience in all aspects of shipping law, both ‘wet’ and ‘dry’ with experience relating to shipping contractual documents including bills of lading, charter-parties, contracts of freight, ship sale and purchase contracts.
We are also experienced in matters relating to the marine environmental / pollution and port state control, collisions, salvage and wreck removal, employment and safety issues arising in shipping contexts. We can also advise and represent parties in all types of cases relating to shipping and offshore activities in the civil and criminal courts, arbitrations, inquiries and other tribunals in Trinidad and Tobago and other countries.
- Insurance disputes
- Collisions, including racing
- Crew claims
- Personal injury claims
- Arrest of yachts and debt recovery
- Salvage claims
- Cargo & freight disputes
- Conflicts of law and jurisdictional matters
- Product liability (engine/mast/hull failures)
- Regulatory breaches and representation at Maritime and Coastguard Agency interviews and prosecutions
- Defending marine professionals (including surveyors, engineers and naval architects)
- Charter party disputes with ships/yachts
- Sale of goods claims for defective yachts and related issues with workmanship
- Criminal investigations and prosecutions under the Merchant Shipping legislation
- Survey disputes
- Yacht construction contracts
- Drafting and negotiating terms and conditions with suppliers and sub-contractors
- Advice on the sale and purchase of yachts and vessels
- Refit and management contracts
- Superyacht finance agreements and mortgage registration
- Drafting and advising on marina terms and conditions
- Drafting yacht Crew Agreements and employment contracts
- VAT Advice
- Registration of ships/yachts
- Health and Safety